Sunday, January 27, 2013

Days 17-19

We had Moe's for dinner Friday night. We were going to go to Genghis Grill, but we ended up going to Moe's with friends instead.

Saturday we made burritos at home for lunch (white bean and avocado), and had black bean burgers with lettuce, tomato, and avocado for dinner.

I managed to make the blueberry muffins last night and they came out really well. Our oven cooks fast, so I may have actually pulled them out a minute too soon because I was scared they would burn. My only complaint is they need about 1/4th cup more sugar, but otherwise the texture and everything is great. Here's the link to the recipe I used. She has lots of helpful notes!
http://www.egglesscooking.com/2009/03/02/vegan-blueberry-muffins/
Blueberry Muffins!

Today I had a blueberry muffin for breakfast and a peanut butter and jelly soft taco for lunch. That's a throwback to my favorite Mexican restaurant and favorite menu item as a kid.

For dinner we made pizza! The crust was from the refrigerated section, and we added pizza sauce, red onion, red bell pepper, sliced mushrooms, and black olives. It was very good. Maybe next time we can make calzones!
Pizza before it went in the oven.

I also made vegan cupcakes today! They came out perfect, I'd say. Just plain vanilla with vanilla frosting, though the frosting was surprisingly difficult to work with. I guess when you are used to working with buttercream or cream cheese frosting, there is going to be a little adjustment period.

Here's the recipe I used: http://whippedbaking.com/2012/04/11/very-vanilla-vegan-cupcakes/

Very Vanilla Vegan Cupcakes (before frosting!)
I'm taking those to work tomorrow, so I'll see how everyone else feels about the dairy-free, egg-free baking!

I must say that I feel a lot better after spending a good chunk of time in the kitchen this weekend. I miss having a big kitchen, but I really do love cooking and baking.

One last thing, we made juice tonight for tomorrow's breakfast! We've dabbled with juicing before, but I think it's important with this vegan lifestyle to make sure we're getting a full range of vitamins and such. You're supposed to juice and drink it right away, but not being a morning person makes that about as likely as me going to the moon. I figure 12 hour old juice is better than no juice at all. So, tomorrow I'll be drinking my first dose of Mean Green (from "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead"). Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment